The HISTORICAL SOCIETY of  HARFORD COUNTY, Inc.
Thirty Three Original Founders/Members
Researched and compiled by Chris Smithson and Henry Peden, 2010

John J. Alexander (1842-1923)
Hon. Edward Miller Allen Jr. (1865-1936)
Dr. George Washington Archer (1824-1907)
Frederick W. Baker (1839-1914)
Rev. William Francis Brand (1814-1907)
Rev. Edward Augustus Colburn (1830-1907)
Rev. James Brown Craighill (1838-1913)
Richard Jefferson Dallam (1861-1943)
Septimus Griffith Davis (1860-1954)
Rev. Ebenezer Dickey Finney (1825-1904)
Dr. William Stump Forwood (1830-1892)
Alexander Finney Galbreath (1852-1922)
Henry Carvil Hall (1832-1913)
William Beatty Harlan (1861-1937)
John Thomas Chew Hopkins (1843-1922)
Cheyney Hoskins (1805-1887)
John Silver Hughes (1866-1917)
Dr. Martin Luther Jarrett (1841-1920)
William Bosley Jarrett (1835-1917)
Rev. George Armistead Leakin (1818-1912)
Otho Scott Lee (1840-1918)
Hon. George Yellott Maynadier (1839-1905)
James McCurdy (1855-1931)
Hon. Charles Wesley Michael (1850-1915)
Hon. Noble Lilly Mitchell (1854-1932)
John Moores (1829-1911)
Nicholas N. Nock (1848-1911)
Hon. Walter Wilks Preston (1863-1951)
Albert Peter Silver (1852-1905)
Benjamin Silver Sr. (1810-1894)
Rev. Theodore D. Valiant (1820-1894)
Hon. George Lindenberger Van Bibber (1845-1911)
Arthur Vosbury (1832-1889)

The Historical Society of Harford County was formally organized on September 26, 1885, at the courthouse in Bel Air. It is the oldest county historical society in Maryland. Its first president was Dr. William Stump Forwood.

Among the founders, Frederick W. Baker was owner and editor of The Aegis (then called The Aegis & Intelligencer) and Nicholas N. Nock was editor of the Bel Air Times.

For more information on the history of the Society see: Hodge, D.C., An Anecdotal History of The Historical Society of Harford County, Harford Historical Bulletin, The Historical Society of Harford County, Inc., Bel Air, MD, Number 108, Summer 2009.

RETURN TO HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF HARFORD COUNTY