What's New?

Events, News, Social

Upcoming Event

  • May 7th House and Garden Tour to Benefit The Historical Society of Harford County

 

Events, News, Social

The Society sponsors numerous events throughout the year ranging from lectures, movies, exhibits to yard sales, tours and bus trips. All are welcome whether members or non members. If you wish to receive email notices about these events, please sign up below.

Join our email list for information on future events »

Note: The Headquarter is not open on holiday weekends or the 4th Saturday in December

On Going

  • Every Fourth Saturday Open, 10am–2pm @ Historical Society of Harford County (HSHC)

Scheduled

  • Sat, May 7, 2016, 10 am–5 pm
    79th Annual Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage @ See details below
    On May 7th, the Harford County leg of the 79th annual Maryland House & Garden Pilgrimage will take
    place from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. This year’s tour is being held to benefit the Historical Society of
    Harford County and proceeds will be used to aid the Society as recovery of funds used in the effort to
    save and restore the historic 1885 former Aberdeen B&O train station. The purpose of the Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage has remained constant throughout its existence. The organization was formed in 1930 as a committee of the Federated Garden Clubs of Maryland and became a separate entity in 1937. Incorporated in 1954, its primary purpose was then and continues to be the preservation and restoration of architecturally and historically significant properties in the State of Maryland. The Pilgrimage has raised and distributed well over one million dollars over the past 79 years.
    The tour which is a self conducted driving tour will take visitors to the following: Sophia’s Dairy (Belcamp), Uncle’s Good Will (Bel Air), Seven Springs Farm (Havre de Grace), West Acre (Darlington), Keziah’s Dairy (Darlington), Christopher Wilson House (Darlington), and Rigbie House (Darlington). Luncheon will be available for $15 per person at the Darlington Fire Hall from 11:30 -2:30 however; reservations are required and may be made by calling 410-939-0492 by April 23rd.

  • Tue, May 10, 2016, 12:30–1:30
    Brown Bag Lunch Series @ 143 N. Main Street Bel Air, MD 21014
    The May event will include our textile experts, Betsy Lehmann and Kathy Scholl, who will provide a primer (show & tell) on the basics of caring for and storing vintage and antique clothing and textiles. The speakers will explain what and how to wash, what and how to vacuum pieces and what are suitable
    storage materials to use as well as what is acid free and when such containers are needed – all the questions you wanted answered to make sure
    those valuable pieces stay protected. Bring your own lunch and drinks will be provided. Free parking is provided on the parking lot behind the Society Headquarters. There will be ample time for questions and comradery, so please consider being part of this fun event. For more information, call the Society at 410.838.7691.
  • Sun, May 22, 2016, 1 pm–4 PM
    Recreating the 1814 Kitchen @ Hays House Museum
    Visit with us on Sunday, May 22 when Vic Miller will describe the
    creation of this addition, which allowed this historic home to fulfill its mission as a living-history museum and a valuable educational resource.
    The early frame portion of Hays House was built by John Bull in 1788. After 1811, the house quickly doubled in size when a two-story addition was added by owner Thomas Hays to accommodate his large family that included seven children. When the early Hays House was saved from demolition and moved from its original site in 1960, the frame portion of the house was relocated, but the stone wing that was added in the 19th century and housed a more modern kitchen and bath could not be moved. It was demolished to make way for a Safeway store. Therefore, the relocated house was left with no plumbing or kitchen facilities. After some temporary modifications to make the house useable as the historical society’s headquarters for some years, the house finally was converted to its current historic use as a living-history venue. By 2000, the replica 1814-kitchen and additional modern facilities were added. Vic Miller was the contractor who consulted with architect Jim Wollon, who specialized in historic preservation, to design and build the reproduction kitchen.


    $% for adults, $3 for students and seniors; Under 4 free.

  • Sat, Jun 4, 2016, 2 PM–4 PM
    Local Legends of Bel Air @ 143 N. Main Street Bel Air, MD 21014
    Summer lecture by authors Carol Deibel and Kathi Santora

  • Sun, Jun 5, 2016, 1PM–4PM
    The Story of Salt Glaze Pottery @ The Hays House Museum
    with expert & collector Kim Little

    $4 for seniors and students, children under 4 free

  • Sat, Jun 18, 2016, 9am–3pm
    Annual Yard Sale @ 143 N. Main Street Bel Air, MD 21014
  • Tue, Jun 21, 2016, 7:30 am–5:30 pm
    Bus Trip to Library of Congress and James Brice House @ 143 N. Main Street Bel Air, MD 21014
    Lunch will be at the Middleton Tavern in Annapolis

    The Brice house was built by James Brice, who served as Mayor of Annapolis (1782–83 and 1787–88) and as acting Governor of Maryland in 1792. The house remained in the Brice family until 1874. The house was purchased by St. John's College in the 1920s and was used as a faculty residence. In 1953 the house was acquired by Mr. and Mrs. Stanley S. Wohl, who undertook restorations in 1953 and 1957.

  • Mon, Jul 4, 2016, 9am–12 noon
    Fourth of July Open House @ The Hays House Museum
    Concert by Catherine Street Consort
  • Sat, Jul 16, 2016, noon–8 PM
    Down Yonders Reunion and Blue Grass Festival